Five Mega Projects Opening This Spring
Five construction projects scheduled to be completed this spring represent nearly $1.3 billion dollars and more than 1.6 million square feet. All five of the projects are hospitals; three of the five are sizeable expansions, the other two are new hospitals. All of the projects below are located in the Revista Construction database which covers over 900 in progress healthcare projects nationwide comprising over $80 billion of value. Projects can be searched through a subscription to Revista’s revolutionary healthcare real estate database. Please click here to sign up or for more information.
SCRIPPS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL LA JOLLA – Opening March 2015
Prebys Cardiovascular Institute, at an estimated cost of more than $456 million; the 383,000-square foot building will usher in a new era of medicine and transform heart care for generations to come. By combining the best of innovation and technology, plans for the institute will include:
- Giving Prebys Exterior 260×272 108 medical/surgical beds and 60 intensive care beds in private, single-patient rooms
- Four state-of-the-art cardiovascular operating rooms
- Hybrid operating suites that will accommodate both open-heart surgery and catheter-based procedures, minimizing the need to move patients for separate treatments. Clinical research on potential wireless technologies to offer improved patient care. Diagnostic and interventional procedures that will be captured digitally and made available for physician follow up at the patient’s bedside, allowing for increased confidentiality.
- Genomic medicine to provide patient’s individualized care plans as identified by genomic testing and counseling.
- Four cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology labs.
COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL – Opening March 15, 2015
The new Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura, CA will be a six-story facility $273 million project located on land adjacent to the current hospital. Connected by a central tower, the two wings of the building will encompass more than 358,000 square feet. The new hospital provides the professional staff and patients with advanced diagnostic technologies, including:
- 10 state-of-the-art surgical suites.
- An expanded Emergency Department
- A dedicated Pediatric Unit to care for the hospital’s very young patients
- Improved capabilities for dealing with critically ill patients
- Enhanced Services Emergency Department Surgical Suites
- Maternal Child Floor Environmentally Responsible
- Private Healing Rooms
- Future in Mind Critical Care Units
AKRON CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL – Opening April 2015
In 2012, the launch of a $200 million expansion of the Akron campus to meet the current and future needs of children and their families was announced. Called “Building on the Promise,” the expansion project is the result of significant growth in the hospital’s patient volumes and services. The 368,735 square foot campus expansion will include:
- A 100-bed neonatal intensive care unit with private rooms for each of our tiniest patients and their parents. The current Level III NICU is nationally ranked but has outgrown its space.
- High-risk delivery area that includes labor, delivery and recovery rooms to keep at-risk newborns close to the high-tech care they need.
- An emergency department with enough room to meet our current and future patient volumes. Annual ER visits of more than 60,000 to the Akron campus strain the hospital’s resources in a facility built to accommodate 44,000.
- A new outpatient surgery center designed to accommodate a more than doubling of outpatient procedures in the past 20 years.
- An enclosed concourse that takes patients and staff from the new 1,250-space parking garage to the new building and beyond into the existing hospital. At the same time a new parking deck and building
- The Ronald McDonald House of Akron will undergo an expansion project as well.
ST ANTHONY NORTH HOSPITAL – Opening March 3, 2015
The new St. Anthony North Health Campus is being built around the current medical pavilion with a 350,000 square foot, $177 million expansion that incorporates health and wellness services for local communities:
- 60,000 square feet of integrated physician clinics for both primary and specialty care
- Ambulatory surgery center, women’s center with labor/delivery suites
- Level III Trauma Center with 24/7 emergency services
- 92 inpatient beds and outpatient diagnostics center with lab and imaging services.
GENESIS BETHESDA HOSPITAL – Opening April 2015
Construction will cost $160 million with an additional investment of $40 million for new medical equipment and furnishings.
The new 195,180 square foot addition will include:
- Private patient rooms
- A new addition attached to the existing Bethesda Hospital building
- Emergency/trauma department Intensive care unit Heart center
- Operating rooms
- New outpatient cancer center
- New medical office building
- Major design considerations State-of-the-art facility utilizing best practice design principles from hospitals across the country
- All inpatient rooms will be private Centers of Excellence for heart & vascular, cancer, orthopedics, women’s health, neuroscience and trauma/emergency